Friday, June 11, 2010

Kids' Jam

Hi.
I don't know about you but I always hated recitals. I didn't like playing in them and I didn't like watching them; they were always awkward for everyone except the parents of the kid sweating through Ode to Joy or Moonlight Sonata. Yuk.
Some people like to be out front no matter what they are doing. But I always liked playing with other people. Like in a group or a band. It was fun and you could really expand your music. When everyone is on the same beat and having a good time, there is not much better in life. The guitar is a very social instrument as well as a very personal instrument.
So, I don't force any of my students to perform. That's very personal and I feel it's up to them. I give them the chance to play with other kids. If they would like, they can play solo for everyone. But I don't like show offs. You can go to Guitar Center just about any day of the week and get your fill of guitar hero wannabes. That's not what it's all about.
It's making yourself feel good about the music. If it's alone or with others that's good. If someone listening likes it, great. If not, that's ok also.

I'm starting to work on my August Kids' Jam. I expect to have a lot of fun. It will be loud, but fun.

No comments: